Muay Thai bag: the ultimate buyer's guide
Muay Thai bag is, right after boxing gloves, the most important piece of training gear you will ever need to buy to create a workout space in your house.
There are all sorts of training bags designed for different purposes.
If you are not limited by space and money you should consider getting more than just one regular heavy bag for effective training.
Types of Muay Thai bags that you will need for effective training:
- Muay Thai banana bag due to its hardness is mostly used for practicing kicks and for shin conditioning. It is important to condition them since you won't be able to wear shin guards at all times.
This type of punch bag serves multiple purposes: from practicing push kicks, head kicks, and side kicks to punches, and advanced combinations.
It is one of the more expensive bags to buy but it is also a very important piece of a Thai fighter's training equipment. This bag is essential for shin conditioning.
- Muay Thai heavy bag is shorter and softer than a banana bag. It is great for improving boxing skills and practicing boxing combinations. It emulates the feeling of boxing a real person and gives a more natural resistance than a standing bag.
The heaviest types of Muay Thai heavy bags are great for training push kicks since they offer a lot of dead weight to work against.
It is highly advised to buy a second pair of boxing gloves for heavy bag drills. You shouldn't wear the same pair of gloves for bag drills and for sparring.
Next to the banana bag, this is the most useful bag for Muay Thai training.
- Angle bag is formed in a shape that resembles a human upper body. It is a great piece of gear designed to practice uppercuts and shovel hooks and boxing combinations.
It is also useful to train various types of body kicks and knee strikes. It should be softer than a banana bag but not as soft as a teardrop bag.
- The Teardrop bag is great for training knee and elbow strikes and also light kicks. Since it is quite light it is also great for building up reaction time and overall speed.
Buying one of those bags shouldn't drain your wallet since it is typically cheaper than a banana bag and most other hanging bags. It is useful to have it, but it's not at the top of the list of "must-have" Muay Thai bags.
- The speed bag is a small and soft punch bag designed to train and increase the speed and the reaction time of your strikes.
It improves your hand-to-eye coordination which is very important in Muay Thai.
It may get a bit annoying to train with at the beginning. It bounces up and down and side to side very quickly and it is not easy to hit.
If you put enough effort, though, you will pick up the pace, and training with it will become natural.
This is one of the most useful Muay Thai bags to have.
Also take a look at:
Muay Thai gear
- The standing bag is a heavy and sturdy punch bag designed for kicking and punching. It is popular with mixed martial artists and you can find it in most MMA gyms.
Usually, those bags are designed to bounce back so you can feel the impact of your own strikes. If you have to choose between a hanging punch bag and a standing bag go for the former one.
This bag should be the last on your "to buy" list since it is as expensive as the banana bag yet it is less versatile for Muay Thai training.
Muay Thai bag